Journey of Quilting

Mermaids! {A Mini Quilt}

I signed up for my first swap with Modify Tradition. The rules were to make a quilt that measures 12"- 22" using a traditional quilt block with a modern twist for our swap partner. This quilt measures approximately 20" x 20". I love traditional quilt blocks so I had a hard time deciding. I ultimately decided on the bow-tie block because I loved how the blocks put together worked so well with the fabric, Heather Ross' Mendocino line.

My idea was that the dark bow-ties mixed with the lighter fabrics create a tide pool where of course mermaids live. My modern twist was creating an open sea area where one fussy-cut mermaid was featured. The blue for the open sea is Kona and is appropriately named Caribbean. I also bound the quilt in the same solid blue.

I stippled this quilt quite heavily. And while a lot of times, I feel that stippling is a quick and easy way to quilt a quilt, I think it happens to be perfect for this quilt because it creates a waves and water effect on the quilt. However, I didn't quilt the fussy-cut mermaid to make her stand out a bit... and if my partner chooses to wash the quilt, she will puff out a little more and I think that would look really unique.

The back is more Heather Ross but I can't show you all of the back because the label is on and it's supposed to be a surprise!

This has been a really fun swap and I can't wait to see what I get. I find myself browsing through the Flickr group looking at and hoping that one of those beautiful quilts will be headed my way soon... :)