Journey of Quilting

Themes...

I have a theme running through my piecing and it is all about fish, mermaids, and deep sea life. Unintentionally I cut the fabric for two quilts; one from Odyssea by MoMo; the other from Heather Ross' Mendocino line.

I have been hoarding the Mendocino fabric for quite some time and now that I have turned over a new quilting leaf, I am making some quilts for our home from fabrics that I love and want to always have around. This quilt pattern is the traditional bow-tie pattern with some of the blocks turned to create a reef-like appearance which is quite fitting given the mermaids and sea creatures. :) Once the fabric is cut, which is the most tedious part, the blocks come together quickly.

For the second quilt I am using the tumbler block pattern. My husband really likes how this one is coming together. Growing up in California on the beach has made him a lifetime admirer of the ocean so I'm guessing this quilt is probably going to be claimed by him. This quilt is also coming together quickly. The toughest part of piecing here is having to off-set the blocks just a tiny bit so when opened back up, the row is in a straight line. I am not going to square off the borders so binding the uneven edges of the quilt will be a bit of a challenge but I really like the look of a tumbler quilt done this way.

Lastly, for another theme, I am participating in two challenges that both use fabrics from your stash only and/or use scraps. I love, love new fabric so this is going to be hard for me. But...I need to use up some of my scraps and make a dent in my stash because really, it's a bit out of control.