Journey of Quilting

Cake {Balls}

Chaney's 1st Birthday Today is Chaney's 7th birthday! I cannot believe how fast seven years have flown by. It seems like just yesterday that I was a nervous, new mom. Chaney has certainly grown but I believe that I have grown even more... being a mom tends to do that to a person and I am grateful for each and every day I have had with her.
I'm not known as a cook or a baker but I am known for the cake balls I send for Chaney's birthday each year and an infamous email sent out last year to all the elementary teachers containing the recipe that may or may not have contained the phrase "your balls will sweat". Sweaty balls... definitely not my brightest shining moment. ;)

I stayed up late making the cake balls and I thought I'd share the recipe with ya'll. I make them bigger so they are like small cupcakes and perfect for sharing at school! This is by no means an original recipe but this is how I make mine. Here's what you need:

  • 1 box of cake mix
  • ingredients that the cake mix calls for {eggs, butter, oil, etc}
  • 1 jar of frosting
  • Confectioner's chocolate {I use Almond Bark}
  • Sprinkles
  • Truffle papers or mini cupcake papers
  1. Bake your cake according to the instructions
  2. Allow it to cool for a few minutes {it does not have to completely cool
  3. Cut the cake into cubes and place them in a mixing bowl
  4. With a fork, mash the cake cube into crumbs
  5. Mix the entire jar of frosting into the cake and stir well {the consistency will be similar to cookie dough}
  6. Spoon out the mixture, form into balls and place on a cookie sheet
  7. Refrigerate the balls for approx 45 minutes
  8. Melt your package of confectioner's chocolate according to the directions
  9. One ball at a time, put it into the bowl of melted chocolate and cover it well. With a spoon, return it to the cookie sheet.
  10. While the chocolate is still melted, top with sprinkles if you would like
  11. Once the chocolate has hardened, place the balls in the papers
  12. Allow to cool completely before refrigerating or your balls will sweat...

Makes approximately 30 cake ballsStore in an air-tight container
There are all sorts of variations to try with your icing and cake flavors. Chaney's favorite is yellow cake mix, vanilla frosting, and chocolate on the outside with pink sugar sprinkles {of course}. I have had red velvet, strawberry, German chocolate... you can be really creative!
Thanks for letting me share my recipe! I'll be sharing another recipe tomorrow on another site *hint hint*!