Journey of Quilting

Week 4 {squaring up your blocks}

Guess who's behind on their blocks?? Me!
I was off of work yesterday and had grand plans of finishing my blocks and this tutorial but you know those days where there are other things that happen that are more important than *gasp* quilting? Yep, it was one of those days... Without getting into great detail, I do want to say that Steve is a pretty amazing husband. :)

So back to quilting...

This week we are going to be squaring up our blocks and sewing them together. Because I'm running a tad behind, I'm going to do this tutorial in two parts {squaring & stitching your blocks together}. I will post the second part on Sunday.

To square your blocks you need either a ruler that is preferably 10" square or a template that measures 9" square. The ruler shown above is probably my favorite ruler because it makes squaring so easy but I don't want you to feel like you have to run out and buy a new ruler. So if you don't have a ruler, grab a scrap of sturdy plastic or cardboard and make a 9" square. That square will be your template for squaring each block.

Place your ruler or your template on top of your block. To make your block slightly wonky just tilt your ruler or template slightly up or down on one corner. This doesn't have to be perfect or exact, remember that it's supposed to be wonky!

Once you have your ruler positioned, use your rotary cutter to trim two sides. I always trim the right side and top of the block first but this is just my preference.
After those sides are done, turn your block and trim the remaining two sides.

One perfectly square yet slightly wonky block with very little fabric waste!
A few notes... I alternate the direction that my blocks "wonk". Some tilt up, some down, and then I leave some square.
If you don't want the wonky look at all, just use your ruler or template to square your blocks without tilting your ruler.
No matter if your blocks are wonky or perfectly straight, your blocks will measure 9" square once you are done with this step which makes sewing your blocks and rows together SO easy!
Please let me know if you have any questions! Have fun squaring and I'll see ya'll on Sunday!