Journey of Quilting

One Happy Camper

It was quite the weekend around our house. Lots of packing... quilting... writing Chaney's name in everything... car decorating... and finally lots of driving.

We took Chaney to camp yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I thought. We stopped to get ice cream before heading out of town and as I sat there watching her eat I looked at Steve and told him, "she's too little to go to camp, just look at her". And then he told me not to project my anxiety onto her or anyone else... like him. ;)
The two hour car ride was good and I think it gave us all time to psyche ourselves up. For us it meant being able to let her go. For Chaney it meant that she was extremely hyper. And for those of you who know her, hyper is not a typical description for such a mellow kid.

Packed away was all her stuff and the Happy Camper quilt. It made me feel better to make it and send it and my hope is that she won't feel too far from home sleeping under it either.
It's my biggest finish to date. I expected wrestling a twin under my home machine to be hard but it really wasn't difficult at all. It's also my fastest finish... designed and basted on Thursday; quilted and bound on Saturday. I added the hand quilting Sunday morning.

But what about the piecing-the-top step? There wasn't one. I cheated. Big time. The quilt top is a thrifted twin sheet and the quilt back is a thrifted sheet as well.

The patchwork is one charm pack of Little Apples.

I "appliqued" the squares with a little basting spray and then free motion quilted over them. I added some hand quilting in Perle cotton around them and I was done!

I love the binding. It's from Riley Blake's Love Birds and it looks like it's made to coordinate with Aneela's Little Apples. I love it when that happens. To save time I also machine bound it using my tutorial.

The best part, Chaney loved it!

*Linking up for Fabric Tuesday*