Journey of Quilting

Quilting Without Obligation {Part 6}

"Me"... a little wonky on the inside, but still black & white logical
They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Whoever said that obviously wasn't imitated often because I'm pretty sure that it doesn't feel like flattery most of the time. And from the other side, it's not very flattering or creative to be the imitator either...
When I waded into the quilting world, I spent a lot of time being "inspired" by other quilters. I wanted to make quilts like their quilts. I wanted to use the fabrics they used. I wanted to quilt like they quilted. I devoted a lot of time to browsing and much less to creating. Eventually, I got frustrated and while I continued to sew, I didn't quilt. I truly thought that I just wasn't creative.
When I came back around to quilting a few months later, I began to make quilts that I liked. While I still drew inspiration from other quilters, I spent much more time creating from my own heart and mind. And guess what? My creativity sprouted into something I never knew I had.

When I stopped trying imitate other's creativity, I found my own... amazing and completely without obligation. I became a happier quilter and in turn, a more creative quilter. Do I still love to look at the latest trends in quilting? Sure! But do I have to run out and frustrate myself trying to make something just like so-and-so's? Definitely not.
When I look at a quilt I have made, I want to see my own reflection. My quirks, my shapes, my colors, my values, and even my mistakes. Uniquely and creatively "me". I still love quilt-alongs and tutorials where everyone is making the "same" thing. But the best part is seeing all the finished projects and seeing the unique twist each person puts on the original idea.
If you are a quilter, you are a creative person! You love color, shapes, angles and all the little things that go into make a quilt. So don't be obligated to someone else's idea. Draw inspiration but be yourself because the best quilt is the quilt where you can see your own creativity, passion, and personality.

What is your favorite quilt or project that reflects who you are as a creative person? I'd love to see it so please share your link!