Journey of Quilting

Mug {Rug}

These have been popping up all over blogland and Flickr lately and I had to try one myself.
So. Cute.
And fun to make!
I used some of my Flea Market Fancy scraps and combined them with natural linen. The two textures go nicely together and give it a real feeling of utility... this is made to be used!

If there is a new quilting technique you have been wanting to try, this is a great way to do it. This mug rug measures 9" x 9" so it's an awesome canvas. I did straight line quilting in a random grid layout which isn't new to me. But what I have been wanting to try is a completely machine stitched binding. It was easy and I'm pretty happy with the results. :)

I added a little linen pocket which hubby wasn't quite understanding but then I explained how cute the presentation would be and now he's a fan. He SO caters to my creative whims...

I backed it with Denyse Schmidt home decor fabric and I included a layer of Insul-Bright with the batting to make this heat safe too.

Just writing this post makes me want to go drink hot tea! Too bad it's going to be in the 90's here today. I keep telling myself that fall just has to be around the corner. I think I'm going to go turn the air conditioning down, turn football on and quilt. Quilting and football... this is definitely one of my favorite times of year. :)

P.S. If you love this as much as I do, it's in my shop...