Journey of Quilting

Gratification {Instant}

Steve and I had a long conversation last night about my creative process and unfortunately I'm not feeling much better after our talk. Not his fault, BTW...
We live in a society of instant gratification where speed is cherished over quality. The give-it-to-me-now sort of impatience leaves the artist, or quilter in this case, pulled in 20 different directions trying to please anyone and everyone while pouring every bit of themselves into the final product with very little left in the end because of the stress of the process.
I'm not talking about one thing or another in particular; it's just the way that the handmade process is treated in general terms. Why are you so messy... scattered... slow... busy...? I wish those questions could transform into statements of you are so creative... interesting... talented... diverse...!
Sure, much of what we make can be {and is} manufactured overseas for pennies paid to the workers. But does a great monetary deal and/or instant gratification make the quilter or the artist less valuable to those who we create for?

Sometimes it sure seems like that is the case. And that is sad. And frustrating.

I'm just one person. I'm a wife, a mom, a friend, a family member, a full time employee, a pet owner, and an individual if there's anything leftover. I'm not an assembly line. I'm not just a finished quilt or a finished project. So please tread gently.

Sorry for the bummer of a post but as I've said before, I want to be real here. Thanks for listening. :)