Journey of Quilting

Binding Hexagons

...the tutorial

Don't be scared of those points and corners!
I was and I searched for a tutorial and didn't find one.
So I did the work for you and I documented my process {with minimal swearing} so finishing your hexie project won't be so daunting. :)
Here goes...

After you finish quilting, trim your batting and backing square with your top. Then stitch super close to the edge of your quilt, table runner, etc. This will hold down your edges and make stitching the binding on a little easier.
Prepare your binding strips. You will definitely want to cut them on the bias to make manipulating the strips around the corners much easier. Here is a great tutorial on making a bias binding. I made my strips 2 inches wide because I like a narrow binding {it also cuts down on the bulk in the corners and on the points}.

Once you have your binding ready, here's one of the most important parts {and probably the scariest too!} Take your scissors and snip a slit in each corner of where your hexies meet. This is key to making your corners look nice!

Be careful not to snip more than 1/4" into the hexies...

After you do this in every corner, you are ready to stitch your binding to the front of your quilt.

Start in the middle of a hexie {not a point or a corner}. Begin stitching the binding down with a 1/4" seam allowance.

When you are to your first corner, put your needle down and raise your presser foot. Turn your project slightly and with your left hand pull your project away from the needle to make a straight line {instead of the corner}. With your hexies still in a straight line, turn your project a little more and lay your binding down on that line. Drop your presser foot and begin stitching again towards your next point.
I know these instructions sound strange but if you will follow along as you sew, I promise it will all make sense! If not, you can send me hate mail or ask all the questions you want. :)

Now the easy part... stitch to your point, stopping right before you reach the point. Backstitch and cut your threads. Remove your work and fold your binding up and then down following the angle of your point just like you do when you bind a "normal" quilt corner.

Once you have your fold, continue stitching in the new direction towards your next corner {or point}. And again, send me hate mail or questions if this doesn't make sense.
Continue this madness all the way around your project until your ends meet. Secure your ends with your favorite method and thank me for telling you to start away from a point or a corner.
Success! You are done stitching your biding to the front and it's down hill from here. Watch for part two in a few days where I will show you how to hand stitch your binding to the back while keeping your points and corners all pretty.

Let me know if you have any questions!