Journey of Quilting

Back to school...

... back to school...
Am I the only one who hums that ridiculous song from the movie Billy Madison on the first day of school??
I love the routine, the school supplies, the projects, and the new things learned. Chaney loves almost everything about school and as a parent I really can't ask for much more.

I can't believe she's in 2nd grade already! Her teacher is awesome and Chaney already adores her because she did her student teaching in Chaney's class last year.

I made her a tote bag for art class last year that she loved and ended up carrying to school everyday so this year I made her another one. This is quickly becoming a handmade tradition that Chaney and I both look forward to.

Chaney picked out the fabrics and I think she did a great job! I always enjoy seeing her color and pattern combinations because they are usually pretty unique.
If there was ever a fabric print perfectly suited for her it's this one because this Texas kid is in love with New York City. She's only 7 but she is already making plans to live there and be a photographer when she grows up.
I love her dreams.

The selvage on the outer pocket was Chaney's idea because the dots remind her of a subway map. Don't you just love her fabric sense of style??
And BTW, she's never been on a subway which makes her idea even cuter.

On the inside of the bag I added a few more pockets... one with slots to hold pencils and the other one open to hold anything else i.e. her ever multiplying collection of chapstick.

I knotted the strap because, well, Chaney is short and the strap was a bit too long.

I double stitched all the seams for extra durability because school bags definitely take a beating.
YAY for a new school year! I can't wait to see what it brings.
Anyone interested in a tutorial for this bag? It's super easy and only takes 1 yard of fabric and some scraps for the pockets...

Linking up for Fabric Tuesday!