Journey of Quilting

raising our girls like a princess...

the fancy pomp and aire isn't "us"


picture courtesy of the boys... and Jason's vintage G.I. Joe collection from childhood I have tried wearing silky type clothes, but end up wearing the cotton and linen... the more handmade the better... and I generally do not wear purple with black combat boots

Looking back at this post, I'm so glad I had the lace hanging by hemp twine (now I can take it down with no problems)

heck, I didn't even want a diamond ring for our wedding... just a simple turquoise on silver...
my husband's wedding band was something I had a artisan jeweler create with silver and white gold blended to create a one of a kind artistic sentiment of my love (which fell off his blessed finger while skiing the Illinois river... so if anyone ever finds it, let me know)... I would have settled with him tying a piece of hemp twine around my finger...

~Those "things" just aren't important to us~

we don't get caught up or over anxious about being self-sustainable... but strive to be (it is HARD work)... what is more important right now is that we focus on raising our children with us... not separate... they are an intregal part of who we are (there is a saying that 'you are who your kids are')

Our marriage is sometimes rough, but mostly smooth... and I truly attest that to Jason's patience... and though I chose an understated white gold band with a tiny diamond (it wasn't about the money) for my wedding ring (a vintage 1927 Vintage ring we both found the week before the wedding), we are pretty simplistic people.

no tv... we have one to watch the occasional movie... the kids (and there are 6 of them) only watch a movie maybe once a week if that...

no video games... which includes hand held objects of complete wastes of time

we work... we work alot... but to us, work is prayer

We are entering into our 16th year of marriage and only just beginning to get to know each other...

but we both have always been nature lovers... outdoors hiking and mountain biking (Jason used to race mountain bikes — but that is a whole other story in itself)... I used to repel and introduced him to the sport as well... (going to college for a degree in Environmental Science back when only two schools even offered it helped finding the best outdoor spots)

Our love has grown from nature... with nature... and now we raise our children that way... a seasonal way of raising our children...

Our meals are based on the seasons for the most part... Our lives are definitely shaped by the seasons with chores changing monthly by the change in climates here in the midwest (and they sure do change here in the midwest)

unplug yourself... just for a day

There are no princesses here... or princes for that matter...

no pomp... no aires... just a bit of dirt, sunshine, rain and always a breeze
Life is dirty... but the bright light of faith shines upon us every day regardless if it's hidden behind an obstacle... there even are tears somedays but they cleanse us and keep us honest... and the breeze seems to always blow something else into our lives here on the farm

Our two girls' are precious to us, just as much as the boys are... but there is no way we are raising them to believe that they aren't going to be getting their hands dirty in life... that work is the way to grace... that working hard at whatever you want to achieve in life is THE only way you reach your goals

Sewing dresses and skirt with them... even embroidering details upon their clothing... this is my opportunity to comfort them with something I have worked at just for them... from my hands to them...

It's the same with cooking... we comfort those around us by preparing a good healthy meal that will help support them through the day... as is for anything we do with our children...
life is messy, and we certainly aren't raising any princesses here

all the love and support for this day, xo+blessings,