Journey of Quilting

A Stitchin' Summer {pattern #1}

I've fallen hard for embroidery and after looking at so many beautiful embroidery patterns, I've started making some of my own. It's doodling on paper {which I'm an expert at... just look at my notepad at work!} turned into doodling with a needle and thread.

So while I'm on vacation I thought I'd share a few simple patterns to keep you busy along with a drink recipe to keep you cool.

Today's pattern is a simple phrase and one of my favorites. It comes from this song.

Supplies:
1 12" square of fabric {Kona cotton works great}
embroidery hoop, floss, and needle
marking pen for tracing {I used a water soluble marker}
scissors

You will need a backstitch, a french knot, a basic running stitch, and a stem stitch would be pretty for the curvy letters. You certainly don't have to stick to these stitches which is one of the things that I love about embroidery - freedom to be creative.

I have linked to Jenny Hart's great tutorials for each stitch. The other stitch combo is using your backstitch and french knot together.

Below is the link for the PDF download. It's free! To trace it, just print it and lay it underneath your fabric square. Use your water soluble marker to trace the pattern. Let me know if you have any questions... I am travelling but will have some limited Internet access.

Free Pattern Download!
Where's the drink recipe you ask?? That's tomorrow because what kind of girl would I be if I encouraged drinking on a school night? ;)