Journey of Quilting

Wednesday Words {longhand}

A blogger writing words out longhand? On a paper page with a pencil?

Yep! And I couldn't be more excited.

I'm going through The Artist's Way book by Julia Cameron. I've had the book for several years and I have flipped through it and gleaned some inspiration here and there but it is really designed as a twelve week course as a means of discovering or un-blocking your true creativity. I'm don't really consider myself creatively blocked but I do deal with lots of distractions and negative thoughts of my own.

The foundation of the course is "morning pages". Three pages of stream of consciousness type longhand writing. No editing, no self-censoring, and no going back and reading what you wrote {at that time}. Wake up, write it down, and walk away.

This morning I wrote for the first time and I have to say that it was pretty amazing. I walked out of the house this morning lighter and my day is off to a better start than normal. Three pages seemed like a lot but once I got going it went fast because apparently my mind had a lot to say. ;)

I'm using a Moleskine journal with squared pages because those are my very favorite. And I'm writing with a plain #2 pencil because I love writing with pencils but as an adult I don't get to do that very often so that alone makes me happy to write every morning.

Out of this creative community, I'm really curious to know if anyone else has gone through The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. If you have, what did you think?