Journey of Quilting

Quilting with linen

So the stack of fabric from yesterday turned into these blocks last night. I haven't used all the colors yet but so far I really like what I'm seeing. :)

I got a several emails about sewing with linen... so here are my tips:

  • I wouldn't use raw linen in a quilt but really just because the Essex linen is a blend which makes it softer with a nice drape.
  • I don't use starch when I'm piecing with linen. If you pin well and let your sewing machine do the work, linen is pretty easy to work with.
  • I typically use a scant 1/4" seam allowance when I'm piecing. But with linen, because the weave is a little looser, I use a true 1/4" seam allowance.
  • I don't prewash my linen and I have never had any problems with shrinkage.
  • P-R-E-S-S your seams and blocks. Ironing with a back and forth motion will distort your blocks. This is also a good general rule of thumb for quilting with any kind of fabric.
Have a wonderful weekend! When I'm not cursing celebrating our first 100 degree day at Six Flags, I'll be happily sewing in the air conditioning. ;)