Journey of Quilting

Wednesday Words {accessories}

image from Pillow Sew Cute  Thank you all so much for your comments on my last post! I helps a lot to know that I'm not the only one who has had a freak allergic reaction. It was also fun to have my theory confirmed about all firemen and paramedics being cute. ;)

I'm still not feeling great so there's nothing going on in my sewing room. I did see an allergist yesterday but because my body is still reacting to whatever the heck I ate; he couldn't do the full blown allergy tests. He did do some blood work and I'll go back in two weeks for the other tests but until then, I get to wait.

At my appointment I did get some good information on what to do if it happens again. When I was discharged from the hospital, I was given a prescription for two Epipens. Steve got the prescription filled, we read the instructions, practiced with the "practice" injection, and I put them in my purses.

I also purchased two pouches {one pictured above} from Pillow Sew Cute on Etsy. Karen is not only super helpful... she also has great taste in fabric! I thought about making my own pouch but I really liked her clear labeling and design. It makes better sense to have something easily identified just in case someone else needs to find the pouch for me.

I did kind of wonder why they gave me two Epipens so I asked the doctor about it yesterday.

The Doctor: how many pens do you have in that purse with you?

Me: One.

The Doctor: let me guess, you thought that one was for your black purse and the second one was for your brown purse.

Me: well, something like that...

The Doctor: {smiling} no dear, these are not for your accessories.

So not only did I find a good allergist... he's also got jokes.

BTW, if you are wondering, they give you two Epipens because you are supposed to carry both of them {or at least I am}. One injection lasts about 10 minutes so having two gives you 20 minutes to get help. It's also a good idea to have two just in case you mess up the first one. Now having two makes a lot more sense. ;)

I'm trying to find the humor in this but I am having some anxiety as well. It's hard not knowing what I'm allergic to and what to avoid. For example... a tray of fruit was brought in to my office yesterday. Along with my other co workers, I started to get a plate but then I stopped myself. I realized that I didn't know how that fruit had been handled or if I'm even allergic to the actual fruit.

It's definitely going to be a big lifestyle change and I am so fortunate that Steve is completely on board. That definitely makes this easier. :)