Journey of Quilting

Pillows...

Today is a pillow kind of day. I'm blogging from the couch because I'm home sick with a sore throat, fever, body aches, and chills. Boooo! I have my favorite pillow and Gus, my sympathetic Beagle who is using me as a constant pillow. He is a great "sick" dog. Buddy the Beagle, on the other hand is probably off somewhere in the house eating a Barbie head. I'm sure the drama will ensue when my daughter gets home from school...

I took a break from my normal quilting activities to make a Dresden Plate. It was a fun process but not one I think I want to repeat for an entire quilt. I used up some of my Hope Valley scraps for the blades; this is a great project for scraps!

This was a pretty easy block to put together. I made 20 blades and then sewed 4 sections made up of 5 blades each. From there, you can either make fans or stitch the 4 sections together to make a plate like I did.

The pillow is a simple 18x18 envelope style pillow. The front is linen and the back is also Denyse Schmidt fabric in home decor weight. And BTW, I'm not nuts about sewing with linen but I was pleased with the results.

I appliqued it to the front with a simple zig-zag stitch. And I'll confess, the hardest part was getting the circle in the middle to be a circle and to get it appliqued correctly. But I think it looked great in the end!

I hope ya'll had a wonderful weekend and a happy Mother's Day. Despite being sick, I know I did! My daughter had some very sweet gifts for me that I will share here another day.

PS: Thank you for all the kind and insightful comments on my previous post {I'm still working on responding to everyone}! I think that Quilting Without Obligation might be a reoccurring theme around here... :)