Journey of Quilting

That Mom...

Chaney started art lessons yesterday. I don't know who was more excited so we will call it a tie between her and myself. We have always known she is creative so it wasn't a surprise when she expressed interest in lessons. Plus, she has it in her genes... my maternal grandmother is an artist, her father's side of the family is super creative {seriously, go check her out} and then, FWIW there's me...
She needed a bag to carry her sketchbook and supplies in so we started looking at what we had on hand. Not much. It was suggested that one could be bought and her instant response was that I could make one for her. She is SO my daughter!

It's a simple bag designed by Chaney. Her specifications were:

  • one strap {because art bags only have one strap}
  • black {because artists like black}
  • a little bit of red and a little bit of purple... done and done
  • wear-able {like the bags the 5th graders carry}
  • pockets for pencils and stuff

Chaney picked out all the fabrics by herself and I have to say that she sure knows what she wants! But despite her rigorous specifications, it took me all of an hour to make the bag. No pattern but who needs one with such a specific design?? I even boxed the bottom which is one of my favorite things to do when making a bag. I think it turned out adorable and I want one for myself now. Maybe Chaney will design one for me...

It is so hard these days to raise grounded and sensible kids. By first grade they know their labels and designers. So when Chaney wanted a handmade bag over a purchased one I was thrilled. She has a good head on her shoulders and she's resourceful. She also knows the value of handmade because she hugged the bag and squealed when I gave it to her.

The first art lesson was a hit and she eagerly started on her "homework" already. I'm sure I'll be sharing some of her work here... with her permission of course. ;)

Happy Fabric Tuesday!