Journey of Quilting

{Blossom}

Quilts for Christmas gifts are the best! I got one last finish in for the year and I love how this quilt turned out. I love traditional log cabin quilts and I'm so glad I finally finished one.

Would you believe that I bought this fabric {2 jelly rolls} 4 years ago when I was a new quilter? And incidentally, along with the fabric, I also purchased a pattern to make this quilt which makes me laugh. This was obviously way before blogging or discovering the online quilting resources that we have today!

Do you ever finish a quilt and wonder what the heck took so long? That's certainly my feeling here because I finished most of the blocks way back when and even started sewing the rows together. And then it sat and I can't even remember why.
Details... it measures approximately 65"x65". I don't know why but I love square quilts.

It is backed with a vintage sheet... my favorite detail is the print only at the bottom.

It's bound with a print from the Whimsy line {I think}. I love it when fabric lines play well together. :) On my last few quilts I have been cutting my binding strips 2.5" wide but I went back to 2.25" strips with this quilt and I'm sold; I really like the skinny binding.
On Christmas Eve I hand stitched the binding to the back while watching a marathon of Real Housewives of New Jersey {nothing says Christmas like over-the-top everything!}. Hand stitching the binding just might be my favorite part of the quilting process. I know all the cool kids bind their quilts by machine but I still love finishing a quilt by hand and I even get a little sad as I finish my last few stitches of the binding...

I quilted it with a meandering free motion pattern which I like against the angles and lines of the blocks. And speaking of the blocks... I made them long before I understood much about color values so thank goodness you can see the "stripes" fairly well.
We are off to visit family later this week so barring a bout of of insomnia, this quilt will be my final finish of the year. Next up... finishing the last little bit of quilting on my Chasing Chevrons quilt and binding it!