Journey of Quilting

Bloggers Quilt Festival {fall 2012}

I'm so excited that it's quilt festival time again! Thanks to Amy for hosting this fun even again! I had a really hard time choosing a quilt to share this time around. I have two quilts that I recently finished and love but in the end I decided on my Giant Granny Panties {quilt}.

For those who are new to my blog, I'm sure you are wondering about the name of this quilt. I seem to have a knack for naming quilts so when the idea for making one granny square block into a giant one came along, the name just popped into my head. Just like my Balls to the Wall quilt. I know.

My inspiration for this quilt is this one that lives in our local courthouse on display. When I saw it, it quickly reminded me that what was old is new again...

...all the way down to the block and even the rounded corners of the quilt.

photo credit here This generation of quilters call it a granny square block. Quilters before us called it an album block, chimney sweep block, or friendship block. This is one of my favorite things about quilting; history repeats itself in a good way.

My quilt measures approximately 64"x64". The squares are big... 7" finished. Those large squares gave me lots of room for quilting...

... and the quilting is what I'm the most proud of when I look at my finished quilt. I quilted it on my home machine, my Juki. I've really grown as a quilter in the almost 5 years I've been quilting. I've come a long way from a non-creative person who had never touched a sewing machine to making this quilt! I'm living proof that anyone can quilt if they practice and have patience.

I took a risk with the binding but I really like the contrast and the striped appearance the plaid gives it. We still talk about the binding choice in my home because of this story...

I backed it with a vintage sheet which is one of my favorite ways to back a quilt.

This new quilt is already well loved and enjoyed by everyone in our home including Gus a.k.a Quilt Dog.

If you would like to make your own Giant Granny Panties {quilt} you can find the links my quilt along here. It's an easy and fun quilt to make.

Thanks for visiting today! Now I'm off to take a look at all the other beautiful quilts!

Blogger’s Quilt Festival StatsFinished quilt measures : 64″ x 64"Special techniques used : strip piecingQuilted by : me {Jennifer Jenkinson}Best Category : Favorite Home Machine Quilted Quilt, Favorite Throw Quilt