Journey of Quilting

The "Prairie"...

Don't FREAK OUT now ladies and gent
(yes, I only have one man reader---- — God bless him)...
The fire you see is on purpose... done on Sunday in our 3 acre "prairie"... you see, you are supposed to burn down the yucky grass (that's technical you know) and plant the good stuff (that's not Latin)... we've cut down all the ragweed, we've trimmed up the trees in there, and still nada (I know... it IS Farm)

*Either that, or it's just a really good excuse for my husband to burn stuff and my oldest son here to practice his training for special forces*

Why did I add those ""'s around the word prairie... well... it's because we have been burning and throwing natural prairie seeds down on that 3 acres (we call it our back 40) for the past almost 8 years now... and we have gotten some yellow flowers... but none of the Big blue stem... prairie drop seed... compass plant... and oh so much more...

My husband's mother HAS been successful with the prairie thing... and we are lucky enough to be able to collect seeds, literally by the pillowcase and throw them down.

If I can estimate correctly, we have thrown over 15 lbs. of seeds,

and still only a few yellow flowers...

WELL... this year...

my Willa Cather novel is coming to life, because I'm looking at that 'back 40' and we're tillin' it up... throwing the seeds... planting some pumpkins for the CSA... and gosh darn it — IF I HAVE TO PLANT THE ACTUAL PLANT I'M GONNA! (insert frustration here)...

Here's my inspiration... my seed bank so to speak...

(I know right? mighty big shoes to fill:)
Come to think of it... I would really like to show you all her gardens... let me put something together on a rainy day and show ya'all! She's an antiques dealer and man oh man does she have some wonderful things in and around her garden... NOT to forget her home inside! wow!

Have a great day... and remember what Smoky the Bear says: "only YOU can prevent forest fires" *what a cute bear*

Peace and blessings,