Journey of Quilting

the linen low down...

Anthropologie is becoming where style starts and ends for a lot of people... and for good reason!

they seem to have new ideas all the time... of THE most creative kind...

and I can respect that...

I go into that store with many new ideas each time... as do when I take a walk in the prairie... or spend time in quietness with tea and a good book... or so many fab. blogs...

however... being a local lover... and a sewer... I have to wonder about what kind of empire these people are creating "underground"... stores such as Anthro, Neiman Marcus, and such...

all Anthropologies clothes are made in China, India, Bangladesh, Mexico but not the United States.

Let's take some linen pieces, since I like to sew with linen...

no, it's not cheap to purchase linen... but it's worth it when you do...

and when I buy linen... it's made in USA...

i simply cannot do with anything else

Antrho Example #1:

  • Button front
  • Cotton, linen
  • Hand wash
  • Imported

style #913929

$78.00

~Anne Marie's take: totally cute... thin... and well, not pure linen... but a cotton blend... imported

Antrho Example #2:

  • Hand wash
  • Imported
  • Linen, rayon
style #040061 $68.00
~Anne Marie's take: good idea... very easy to make... but mixing in rayon with the linen is scratchy... and doesn't wash well together... imported...

then we have Elieen Fisher... a long time admirer of her classic style...

Details

  • Machine wash cold. Made in China.
  • 100% Organic Linen/Trim 95% Organic Cotton 5% Spandex.

  • R9RI-T1359P $158.00
~Anne Marie's take: great classic style... love how it's organic linen... but made in China!... and quite darn expensive...

So, to conteract this linen obsession I was having... the first place I turned was Etsy... the handmade shop...
and I did find this:

This one is only $48 on Etsy... from ObiMama (click on image to purchase)

~Anne Marie's take: nice classic style... all linen... bravo.

or this one... (also on Etsy)

Details:
-linen/rayon blend
-$206
-click on it to purchase

~Anne Marie's take: totally cool styling, dress, love it!... but blend... not pure... but still very very cool...

I'm even sorry to report, on the home decor area, the Mary Jane's Farm... her sheets, comforters, etc, are made in India... and China!! I was SHOCKED! (to me, that was like finding out Whole Foods sells organic California blend veggies from China!... I know!!)

WHY did I do this?

Because I'm sewing with linen lately, and I want to make sure I'm not charging too much... but being able to let my customers afford quality clothing without spending alot...

A girl has to do her research you know...

I do have to say, it was REALLY hard to find 100% linen, made in the USA products... and I am so happy to be a part of a pure linen line of clothing... all made in this country... by my hands...

and I'm working on quite a bit of new products for the barn sale... both in linen and a pure cotton that is light... just in time for summer... and I buy the cotton direct from the manufacturer (obviously, I'm not flying overseas to get it...) P.S.!! if you know of good linen simplier in the states please forward me the info.

all of that will be listed online once the sale is done...

Hope you are all having a great week... it's already the middle!! yeah!

p.s. my disclaimer... as I can truly be honest, not all of the items in our household are from USA... mostly because they were from recycled thrift stores, or we just couldn't find made in usa for that item...
i would love to be a purist, yet my pocketbook adjusts to pragmatism